*****Also posted to Medium.
Three weeks ago I graduated from the growth track at Tradecraft. It’s a three month program that prepares individuals for traction roles at high growth startups. (See my post How Twitter Changed My Life on my decision to join Tradecraft.)
One of my favorite aspects of the program was the five mentor sessions each week. I love meeting new people, learning about their backgrounds, and the decisions they’ve made that led to where they are today.
I also sent out cold emails to people with backgrounds I’d like to emulate. These cold emails resulted in over 50 coffee meetings. I also met dozens of people through attending the Brit + Co Re:Make Conference and Women 2.0 Conference.
My lack of fear sending cold emails stems from my background of journalism at Convent of the Sacred Heart High School. My teacher required we have three different sources for every story, meaning that I’d have to speak with dozens of people to get my quotes.
Since I’ve learned so much over the past three months from people I’ve met, I wanted to share a few takeaways. Here’s the outline:
- On Growth (Josh Elman, Sean Ellis, Brian Balfour, Gustaf Alstromer, Zack Onisko, Melody McCloskey, Laura Klein, Ada Chen Rekhi, Ryan Delk, Arjun Naskar, Katelyn Watson, Aarthi Ramamurthy, Danny Moy, and Jordan Koene)
- Share Feedback (Maya Grinberg, Cathy Vigrass, Randi Zuckerberg, and Krithika Muthukumar)
- On Networking & Friendships (Brit Morin, Dave Morin, Julia Hartz, Hiten Shah, Alexander Tibbets, Amanda Pouchot, Perri Blake Gorman, and Frederik Hermann)
- On Leadership (Xochi Birch, Dave Morin, Doug Landis, Sean Sheppard, Misha Chellam, Lisa Falzone, James Proud, Raz Roman, Tristan Pollock, and Erica Brescia)
- On Investing & Fundraising (Dave Morin, Hunter Walk, Crystal McKellar, Victoria Ransom, Pascal Levy-Garboua, Amit Kumar, Jessica Mah, and Thomas Korte)
- How to Approach Learning (Kathy Savitt, Irene Au, Xochi Birch, LJ Kwak, Graham Hunter, John Barrows, Jenna White, Sofia Pessanha, and Shawn Plunkett)
- How Startups Evolve (Danielle Morrill, Roy Bahat, Gagan Biyani, Jack Mardack, Jocelyn Goldfein, Jenny Morrill, Lisa Falzone, John Eagan, Arjun Naskar, and Elena Grewal)
- Advice on Finding a Job (Sam Shank, Jared Fliesler, Sheana O’Sullivan, Russell Klusas, Matt Ellsworth, Elli Sharef, and Lauren Vingiano)
- Be Creative (Cathy Vigrass, Camille Ricketts, and David Nihill)
- On Personal Development (Jared Fliesler, Libby Leffler, Chris Kim, Joshua Scott, Andrea Soto, and Santiago Merea)
- On Being a Woman in Tech (Sheryl Sandberg, Lauren Kay, Mona Sabet, and Sofia Pessanha)
“If you’re offered a seat on a rocketship, don’t ask what seat.”
— Sheryl Sandberg
ON INVESTING & FUNDRAISING
HOW TO APPROACH LEARNING
HOW STARTUPS EVOLVE
ADVICE ON FINDING A JOB
ON PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
ON BEING A WOMAN IN TECH